Yavneh closed over virus result
search
Coronavirus case

Yavneh closed over virus result

A year 12 student at Leibler Yavneh College has tested positive for COVID-19; the school remains shut while contact tracing is conducted.

Leibler Yavneh College. Photo: Peter Haskin
Leibler Yavneh College. Photo: Peter Haskin

IT remains unclear when Leibler Yavneh College will reopen its doors after the school received confirmation that a year 12 student had tested positive for COVID-19. 

Yavneh’s Elsternwick campus was closed last Friday for all students and staff following news a close contact of the year 12 pupil had contracted the virus.

In a letter to parents on Saturday night, the school said, “We must unfortunately advise you that the college has received confirmation that a student in our school community has tested positive for COVID-19. 

“The year 12 student was last in attendance at the Elsternwick campus on Wednesday, July 15. 

“Consistent with advice from the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), our Elsternwick campus will remain closed whilst contact tracing is conducted, and the school continues to be deep cleaned and sanitised.”

Yavneh’s Balaclava Rd campus will continue to operate as normal. 

Meanwhile, a Yavneh spokesperson told The AJN on Tuesday the school was awaiting the results of contact tracing, and would reopen “when it’s safe to do so and at the earliest opportunity”.

“In line with DHHS procedures, any students or staff members who are identified as ‘close contacts’ will be contacted and provided with appropriate advice,” the school said. 

Wishing the infected student “a full and speedy recovery”, Yavneh added, “Our student body and school community has come together and been incredibly supportive.”

In a separate incident last week, two groups of Bialik College students were sent home from school following a coronavirus scare.

The AJN understands 13 students in year 11 had dined at a Japanese restaurant in Caulfield where a worker tested positive to COVID-19. The employee last worked at the restaurant on July 9 and the last student attended the eatery on July 8.

“As per Bialik’s protocol, the students who were contacted by the restaurant left the campus immediately and have been asked to undergo testing and isolation,” the school told parents.

The pupils returned to classes on Monday this week after receiving negative results and not developing relevant symptoms.

“We have met online with the impacted families and are grateful for their support, positivity and resilience,” Bialik said.

In a further scare at The King David School (KDS), a year 12 student had also eaten at the same restaurant and was sent home for testing.

The AJN understands the KDS student attended the restaurant separately to the Bialik pupils, and also returned a negative result.

read more:
comments