THE directors of Chabad Glen Eira creche have slammed rumours that a mass allergic reaction at the kindergarten last week was caused by paint or cleaning products.
Last Wednesday afternoon, emergency crews were called to the centre after nine children presented with a rash and mild fever.
It is understood the toddlers had consumed a smoothie during afternoon tea before developing the symptoms.
The centre was placed into lockdown and parents were immediately notified of the incident.
The toddlers were assessed by paramedics and monitored onsite. Symptoms subsided and all were sent home with their parents.
In a video posted on Chabad Glen Eira’s Facebook page, an Ambulance Victoria member said, “From what we can gather, it’s all the children in one particular room. [It] all started happening quickly after they had a drink.
“It didn’t seem like any children from any of the other rooms were getting any symptoms at all.”
In a statement to The AJN on Tuesday, Chabad Glen Eira’s Mendy and Esther Malka Groner said, “The creche is aware of rumours and speculation that have circulated about the cause of the symptoms, including the possible involvement of paint and/or cleaning products. These are unsubstantiated.”
Stating that results of investigations into the incident “are currently pending” and an update will be provided to the parent body “as soon as it is received”, they added, “Our priority is the ongoing welfare of our children. They are all well and the creche remains open.
“No one required medical treatment or transport to hospital.”
Update re earlier incident at Chabad Glen Eira Crechehttps://ajn.timesofisrael.com/toddlers-treated-for-mass-allergic-reaction/
The centre was closed last Thursday to allow for all potential sources of the event to be removed from the premises, and for a deep clean and sanitisation to take place.
A Department of Health spokesperson told The AJN it was too early to reach any firm conclusion about what happened, but a number of plausible causes were being considered and followed up.
“The illness experienced by children last week at the Caulfield kindergarten is still being assessed by the local council,” the spokesperson said.
“The Department of Health is assisting the council and is providing expert advice on the possible causes.”
The AJN understands some equipment and food sources were removed as a precaution.