FOLLOWING the deadly attack in Las Vegas on Sunday night that has so far claimed the lives of 59 people and left hundreds of others injured, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu issued a statement of solidarity with the United States.
“Las Vegas and the American people experienced a day of horror; the hearts of the people of Israel go out to the scores of innocent people murdered in cold blood,” he said on Tuesday.
“Our hearts go out also to the hundreds who are wounded; we pray for their speedy recovery. The people of Israel stand with the people of America this time and anytime, but especially in this time. We will overcome, together.”
President Reuven Rivlin in a letter to President Donald Trump also expressed condolences to the families of the dead and wished for the recovery of the injured.
“We stand with you as you mourn the terrible loss of life and injury following this senseless attack on people who had merely gathered together to listen to music,” Rivlin wrote.
In a show of solidarity, Tel Aviv City Hall lit up its rectangular-shaped building in the shape of an American flag using red, white and blue lights.
Meanwhile, a number of Israelis considered as missing in the aftermath of the mass shooting in Las Vegas have been located and none were injured.
Foreign Ministry spokesman Emmanuel Nahshon told The Times of Israel on Tuesday morning that Israel’s consul-general in Los Angeles, Avner Saban, and other embassy staff had reached out to Israelis living in Las Vegas and that all were accounted for following the Sunday massacre.
Saban had travelled to Las Vegas to oversee efforts to reach the 18 Israelis unaccounted for and considered missing by the Foreign Ministry following the attack on a country music festival that killed at least 59 and injured more than 500.
Some 7000 Israelis live in Las Vegas, Saban told the Israeli news website.
Further coverage in this week’s AJN.